Wednesday, November 17, 2010

what's in a name?

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
If I should die before I wake
I pray the Lord my soul to take
-Anonymous


I was thinking today about how much I have been enjoying blogging and realized I never got around to explaining why I chose to name my blog "anybody special tonight."

Above I quote a common prayer used at bedtime, the prayer I prayed as a child every night after my story and before my mom tucked me in.  I still pray that prayer today, but my family extended it so that we could pray for everyone in a special way each night.  After a list of all our loved ones which is said in a sing-songy pattern impossible to describe to anyone except those who have been praying it we say "aunts and uncles, cousins, friends and everybody...A-goobafied-men tonight.  Anybody Special Tonight."

The "goobafied" part is just a nickname I acquired in my childhood due to my Dad's inability to learn song lyrics, but the last thing we said was anbody special tonight.  Then we would list off anyone we wanted to pray for who wasn't included on our list, or who needed extra attention due to illness, hardship, etc.


Well, I still pray that same prayer every night before I fall asleep and the list of anbody special gets longer and longer.  During this Christmas season I pray that everyone has someone praying for them when they are asked if there is anbody special tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment