Sunday, November 21, 2010

tinsel & mistletoe

And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so?  It came without ribbons.  It came without tags.  It came without packages, boxes or bags.  And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore.  Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before.  What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store.  What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.  ~Dr. Seuss



Well, my Dad is a notorious Grinch come the Christmas season.  He grumbles when the decoration boxes come up from the basement, when the wrapping of the gifts begins, making of the Christmas oyster crackers and cheeseballs starts, and never ever likes shopping for gifts.  BUT...this year he has found out that his heart has grown.  He loves everything about Christmas this year and even sneakily played Santa Clause making our house the most popular UPS stop on the route.  Not only that, he didn't get stuck lugging the decoration boxes up and down the steps because Aaron was on call.  Thanks hubby for carrying the boxes up and taking them back down for me:)

I FINALLY finished the decorating, one of my favorite holiday activities, and I must say the house looks very festive.  The candles smell wonderful!  Mulled Cider is definitely my new favorite Christmas scent.  There are a thousand and one ornaments on the tree and even the pups are getting in the spirit.  They like to lick the ornaments, despite our fears that Marley might decide to try one as a snack, and got very excited when their stockings went up.  Penny remembers the treats that usually find their way into them come Christmas morning.


My wonderful husband even helped me put up our tree this year, multi-colored lights and all.  


I will admit that despite my affinity towards all white Christmas lights I love our multi-colored tree.  It even has quite a few ornaments on it already thanks to Christmas gifts from the past two years.  Now we just need that perfect newlywed ornament.  My parents have a really special ornament from their first Christmas as Mr & Mrs and I have always wanted one that is similar.  Our first trip to the mall was unsuccessful, but I get a little overzealous in my Christmas shopping pre-Thanksgiving so that's understandable.


The special ornament, once it is found won't even grace our tree until after Christmas Eve so there isn't a rush.

Poor Penny-pup has a sore right shoulder and has had some trouble getting up and down the basement steps.  Not that that keeps her from scaling them EVERY time I go up and down (she loves to follow me around the house) or from gladly going on trips to Grandmama's house.  She must not be too hurt.

Penny has a new office-buddy joining her as Aaron is now working with Kevin's company Better Life to help in the advertising and marketing.  I am so proud that my husband chooses to work for a company based in making our homes safer and healthier for ourselves and our children.  Also because he didn't settle for a cookie-cutter job and is doing something he is truly passionate about.  


I love the names of the products, especially the glass-cleaner "I Can See Clearly, WOW!"

In other Weir family news, we are now members of St. Charles Borromeo parish.


Not only is it the parish I grew up attending, but it is also where Aaron and I tied the knot almost 6 months ago.


We actually attended Mass yesterday and it was a new and exciting experience to go as a couple, sit in a new spot, and spend the whole Mass holding hands.  It is truly wonderful to be part of a parish community that holds a special place in both of our hearts.


I couldn't help, but put one of my favorite wedding photos in, this taken outside the church between one of the many rain showers that happened on our wedding day.

Mom and I are driving up to Xavier tomorrow to pick Tad up from school for Thanksgiving break and I could not be more excited.  Not only do I get to see Xavier University for the first time, including my brother's dorm room (SCARY!), we are going out to dinner with his girlfriend Veronica, whom I have never met.  I am very excited, especially as she may be coming to Hilton Head this summer on the Delicath-Weir family vacation.


As long as all reservations go smoothly this is the beautiful house we will be living in for a week! I am excited for some fun in the sun and my hubby's first experience with the South Carolina sunshine.

Here's to a fantastic road trip with my momma!


I am so excited to spend so much alone time with her.  Now that I am a Mrs. I don't get the chance very often so I will be soaking up every minute, even if I do have to work during the drive.

So y'all (just practicing for our summer vacation) enjoy your food-filled Turkey Days and lots of family time.  Splitting the day between our two families will mean double the food for both of us, which means double the cranberry sauce, my personal favorite.


No comments:

Post a Comment