Sunday, October 31, 2010

it's just a bunch of hocus pocus

Halloween! Halloween! Halloween! Halloween! In this town we call home everyone hail to the pumpkin song in this town, don't we love it now? Everybody's waiting for the next surprise!
-Danny Elfman


Halloween has always been a spooktacular holiday for me, but this year not only am I married, but I finally get to hand out candy to the neighborhood ghouls and goblins!  Although it will never come close to Christmas, I love any holiday that has great traditions and any possibility of "theming" anything out.



My handsome husband was the official "pumpkin carver" for our very first pumpkin as Mr & Mrs.  I couldn't help myself and had him carve a bow and eyelashes on our pumpkin (it's the one on the right).


I, personally, was very excited to help get all the pulp and seeds out of the pumpkin.  I have fond memories of helping my Dad when we were little kiddos and so Cassie and I dug right in (literally)!  We did have a helper...


Although no one was surprised when Penny loved snacking on our pumpkin pulp, she mostly looked cute and took a long nap.  I did learn something new from my information hungry hubby that I didn't know about pumpkin carving.  Apparently if you soak your pumpkin in a tub of water it hardens the pumpkin and keeps it from getting moldy.  


Looks lovely, but I will give Aaron credit because Cassie's devilish pumpkin (the scarier one in the first picture) was knocked over and gnawed on by our resident devil.


He may have been a bad little boy, but he is so stinkin' cute you just can't stay mad at him.  So the pumpkins were carved and perched on the front stoop and I was busy in the kitchen roasting the seeds.  After cleaning, buttering, and salting them into the oven they went.


I think it was the butter, but everyone enjoyed them, including my husband who was VERY skeptical as to how they would turn out.  Serves him right for doubting his wife's cooking skills...

Luckily, I had decorated the house early so we were officially ready for Halloween to begin...two days early.



In the meantime, I was a very proud sister at Cassie's volleyball game the next day as I watched her spike and serve her way to the top of the team.  

Halloween Eve was promptly celebrated by myself and my husband with dinner at Tomy Roma's (so yummy) and a scary movie.


It was a nice surprise to spend Halloween Eve with a relaxing diner-movie-date-night rather than at a party, guess that's what happens when you get married...you get boring.

After our date, we came home early (before 10pm, now that's boring) and watched a special on the history of Halloween.  Did you know that passing out candy started in the 1920s when housewives came up with the idea to keep neighborhood kids from vandalizing their homes?  Did you also know that the very first Halloween costumes were made solely out of paper?  Neither did I until I watched the special.


The scariest night of year was finally here and I got all dolled up in my very "spooky" light-up Halloween t-shirt and passed out candy to a sparse group of neighborhood kids.  Thank goodness my mom got fun-dip, candy I actually enjoy, so  I could snack on the extras.

Now to settle down with some buttery toasted pumpkin seeds and watch my all-time favorite Halloween movie, Hocus Pocus.


In the word of Winifred Sanderson, bye bayaiyai bye bye!  Happy Halloween!


No comments:

Post a Comment